Public and Affordable Housing Programs  

Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)


Federal and State fair housing laws require that Public Housing Agencies (PHAs) provide reasonable accommodation in their rules, policies, practices and services if they are needed to help people with disabilities benefit from the Public Housing program.

The Reasonable Accommodation requirement helps to insure equal participation in the program by people with disabilities. Changes in policies or procedures are referred to as “reasonable accommodation.” People with disabilities may need assistance in completing the application process, searching for housing, and/or submitting the necessary paperwork. PHAs are required to provide this assistance under the provisions of Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973.

 Who is eligible for a reasonable accommodation?

Reasonable accommodations are only granted to individuals with a disability to remove disability-related barriers to housing. For purposes of reasonable accommodation, you are considered disabled if you are:

  • An individual with a mental or physical impairment that limits one or more major life activities, or
  • An individual who is regarded as having such an impairment; or
  • An individual who has a record of such impairment.

How can I let the Housing Authority know that I need a reasonable accommodation?

You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time.

Please complete the Reasonable Accommodation Request forms click here and send both to the Housing Authority. You must complete all the requested information on both forms as the Housing Authority may have to verify that you have a disability and that the request is necessary to remove any potential barriers to your housing.

May I request more than one reasonable accommodation?

Yes, but remember that your need for the accommodation must be verified as necessary.

Reasonable Accomodation Request Process

  • I am an applicant and I would like to request an accomodation.

  • I am a resident and I would like to request a reasonable accommodation.